The Compassionate City Charter
Supporting others at a time of crisis is everyone’s responsibility.
“A compassionate city is a community that recognises that care for one another at times of crisis and loss is not simply a task solely for health and social services but is everyone’s responsibility.” Allan Kellehear
For more information on the Charter of Actions please click here.
|Schools & Education||Schools & Education
Our schools will have annually reviewed policies or guidance documents for dying, death, loss and care.
Our workplaces will have annually reviewed policies or guidance documents for dying, death, loss and care.
|Faith houses||Faith houses
Our churches and temples will have at least one dedicated group for end of life care support.
|Trade unions||Trade unions
Our trade unions will have annually reviewed policies or guidance documents for dying, death, loss and care.
|Hospices & nursing homes||Hospices & nursing homes
Our city’s hospices and nursing homes will have a community development program involving local area citizens in end of life care activities and programs.
|Art galleries & Museum||Art galleries & Museum
Our city’s major museums and art galleries will hold annual exhibitions on the experiences of ageing, dying, death, loss or care.
|Homeless & imprisoned||Homeless & imprisoned
We will seek to encourage and to invite evidence that institutions for the homeless and the imprisoned have support plans in place for end of life care and loss and bereavement.
Our City’s Commitment
- Understand and celebrate diversity through its compassionate policies, practices and services.
- Host and annual peacetime memorial parade representing the major sectors of human loss outside military campaigns
- Create an incentives scheme to celebrate and highlight the most creative compassionate organisation, event, and individuals
- Publicly showcase local support
- Encourage and annual city-wide short story or art competition that helps raise awareness of ageing, dying, death, loss, or caring
- Establish and review targets and goals and will add more sectors to our action plans for a compassionate city